Have type 2 diabetes? This programme is available in the following areas...
Hounslow (Provided Hounslow and Richmond Community Healthcare NHS Trust)
X-PERT type 2
X-PERT Diabetes programme will increase your knowledge, skills and understanding of your condition and help you to make lifestyle choices to manage your blood glucose levels more effectively.
Prior to COVID-19 pandemic, this course was offered face to face, however, due to social distancing and other restrictions these classes have been temporarily halted.
As an alternative route to the diabetes programme, we are offering a live online option and an app-based option. If you have an email address and access to a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone, these options are available to you.
Speak to your Hounslow GP to get your free space or refer yourself directly
X-PERT is one of the longest-standing diabetes education courses for people with type 2 diabetes. There are different X-PERT courses available:
- First steps (introduction to diabetes management one-off session)
- X-PERT diabetes prevention and management
- X-PERT insulin
During the COVID-19 pandemic group education is being delivered virtually during the working week with sessions offered in the morning, afternoon and evening. We plan to return to delivering group sessions face to face whilst continuing with a virtual option in the future.
How do I sign up for a class?
Referrals to X-PERT and X-PERT Insulin are via GP and patients not on insulin can self-refer by completing this form.
Programme inclusion criteria
Type 2 diabetes - newly diagnosed or established
18 years or older
Can understand English - courses are also held in Hindi, Punjabi and Urdu (subject to availability)
- X-PERT is a face-to-face group course of six once weekly sessions, each 2 ½ hours long.
- Online version is 5 once weekly sessions for 1.5 hours duration
- X-PERT app. 12 months available access to the course self-directed.
The course is facilitated by a qualified healthcare professional. There is flexibility around the number of sessions you attend and the times of those sessions.
X-PERT is based on person-centred discovery learning and uses peer-to-peer learning and visual aids to help you understand your diabetes and health. The course is regularly audited and quality assured, with trainers following a written curriculum.
Video: An Introduction to X-PERT Health
What can X-PERT do for my diabetes?
The course is designed to:
- Increase your knowledge and confidence in managing diabetes
- Improve health outcomes e.g. blood glucose level, blood pressure
- Help with weight management
- Provide information on Dietary approaches e.g. Low Carbohydrate, Intermittent fasting
- Provide information on the latest evidence on remission (reversal) of diabetes
- Potentially reduce your reliance on medications
You will receive a comprehensive Diabetes X-PERT handbook and YouTube video links once you complete the course.”
Video - What happens at an X-PERT course
Who is X-PERT best suited to?
X-PERT is best suited to:
- Enjoy sharing their experiences, interacting with and learning from others
- Prefer to practice what they have learnt between each session before returning for more information
- Would like flexibility in booking sessions at different times, including weekends and evenings
- Have a good grasp of the English language
- Both people who wish to attend face-to-face group sessions as well as those who may prefer a virtual education
Please note, there is a separate course in Hounslow called X-PERT insulin for people who manage their Type 2 Diabetes with insulin. Speak to your GP if you are interested in this course.
X-PERT key facts
Face to face (virtual)
I’ve had this condition for such a long time but it’s the first time I’ve actually understood what I can do about it.A type 2 patient
It was great to ask questions and be able to trust the answers. I feel confident about my diabetes now.