Type 2 Diabetes Prevention
You can’t change some of the risk factors that can lead to type 2 diabetes. But others you can.
The risk of type 2 diabetes can be reduced significantly by reducing weight, increasing physical activity and improving your diet. Your local Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme service can support you in taking action in all of these areas. Making changes now can lower your risk or even stop you developing type 2 diabetes.
What are the type 2 risk factors?
● If you’re over 40 and white, or over 25 and African-Caribbean, Black-African, Chinese or South Asian
● Family history of diabetes
● You're overweight
● High blood pressure
● History of a heart attack or stroke
● History of schizophrenia, bipolar illness or depression, or if you are receiving treatment with anti-psychotic medication
● You've had polycystic ovaries, gestational diabetes, or a baby weighing over 10 pounds
Programmes are held in a range of locations across Westminster, Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington & Chelsea, Ealing, Hounslow, Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon. If there isn't a programme running in your area at the time of your referral, you’ll be placed onto the area waiting list until the next programme begins. You also have the opportunity to attend programmes in other areas if that suits you better.
Want to reduce your risk of developing diabetes?
Find out what programmes are available in NW London