Type 2 Diabetes Prevention
Thousands of people at risk of type 2 diabetes in North West London have been accessing the free Healthier You programme, and as a result, are no longer at risk.
The risk of type 2 diabetes can be reduced significantly by reducing weight, increasing physical activity and improving your diet. Your local Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme service can support you in taking action in all of these areas. Making changes now can lower your risk or even stop you developing type 2 diabetes.
What are the type 2 risk factors?
● If you’re over 40 and white, or over 25 and African-Caribbean, Black-African, Chinese or South Asian
● Family history of diabetes
● You're overweight
● High blood pressure
● History of a heart attack or stroke
● History of schizophrenia, bipolar illness or depression, or if you are receiving treatment with anti-psychotic medication
● You've had polycystic ovaries, gestational diabetes, or a baby weighing over 10 pounds
If you would like to use a free health tool to help you understand your risk then please visit the local service provider Xyla website, if you are at risk then you will have an opportunity to access the free Healthier You Programme for there. Alternatively you can ask your GP to refer yuou to the programme.
Check out these health tools
NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme