The Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme (NHS DPP)
As a GP or health professional, you will already be aware that the risk of type 2 diabetes is significantly reduced if your patients make positive changes to their diet, weight and the amount of physical activity they do.
Your local Healthier You service can support your patients in taking action in all of these areas.
Taking this kind of action now is very important as it can reduce your patients’ risk of, or even stop the development of, the very serious health condition of type 2 diabetes.
NHS DPP Referral Details
Your patient is eligible if they are motivated to take part in light exercise and meet the following criteria:
- Aged over 18
- Not pregnant
- Registered with a GP in the areas of either Brent, Central London, Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham, Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow or West London
- HbA1c between 42-47 mmol/mol (6.0-6.4%) or Fasting Plasma Glucose between 5.5-6.9 mmols/I within the last 24 months
- If patient has a history of Gestational Diabetes (GDM), then patient is eligible with HbA1c <42 mmol/mol or FPG <5.5mmol/l.
- Patient information leaflet: You can download the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme patient information leaflet here.
- Know your risk: Patients can find out their risk of developing type 2 diabetes using the NHS tool here.
Provider contact details
If you want to know more about the Healthier You programme and the patient Know Your Risk tool at a practice level, please contact Xyla Health and Wellbeing, the NHS approved provider of the programme, via the contact details below.
Sunil recently completed the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme and would encourage anyone at risk of developing type 2 diabetes to take part.
Read about Sunil's experience on the programme..