Want to reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes?
The Healthier You programme is a free national programme for you
NHS Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Programme
The NHS Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Programme is part of the national programme which provides support to 100,000 individuals each year.
Those referred to the service will receive tailored, personalised support programme to reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes.
National Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Programme
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for your local NHS Healthier You service if you meet the following criteria:
18 years or older
Able to take part in light/moderate physical activity
Have high glucose levels - defined as having a HbA1c between 42mmol - 47mmol/l.
Registered with a GP practice in one of our delivery areas
How to join
If you have been told you are at risk of type 2 diabetes and meet the criteria, you can access your local Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme service in the following ways:
- You can make a Self-referral without a GP referral here
- A referral from your GP or nurse ( Just ask them about the Diabetes Prevention Programme)
- A referral from a Health Check professional
What can you expect?
Your local Healthier You: NHS Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Programme service is free to all those at risk of type 2 diabetes, who are registered with a GP in one of our supported locations. Once you have been referred to the programme, you will undertake the following stages.
- Stage 1: Initial one-to-one assessment with your Health & Wellbeing coach to assess your health and wellbeing using a number of measurements, including height, weight, waist circumference and a finger prick blood sample if required
- Stage 2: Join a Healthy Foundations group, which consists of two elements; X-PERT Health nutrition sessions and physical activity drawing on healthy lifestyle advice
- Stage 3: Join Prevention Plus group sessions which will help you to build on the dietary knowledge gained during the Healthy Foundations sessions
- Stage 4: During your six and nine-month reviews, our coaches will retake a number of your measurements, including height, weight, waist circumference and a finger-prick blood sample
Sessions are held at various locations with times to suit you, including day, evenings and weekends. You’re sure to find one convenient for you.
The Xyla team who deliver the programme in North West London are passionate about people and their health. If you’re worried about your risk of type 2 diabetes and want to talk to them about how to prevent it, then get in touch. You’ll find them very personable, friendly, positive and encouraging.
NDPP key facts
Face to face
Download more information about the Healthier You service